Article

Boston Red Sox trade idea sends Brayan Bello to AL contender for 27-y… — and more

Boston Red Sox trade idea sends Brayan Bello to AL contender for 27-year-old two-time All-Star

Boston Red Sox trade idea sends Brayan Bello to AL contender for 27-year-old two-time All-Star originally appeared on The Sporting News. Add The Sporting News as a Preferred Source by clicking here.

The Boston Red Sox have made moves to solve third base and could play Marcelo Mayer there if needed, but it might not be the worst idea to find a veteran instead of playing Mayer or Caleb Durbin.

The Red Sox also have some assets they could move on in the form of prospects or existing players on the big league roster, so there are many ways to go about this if they want to add a third baseman.

Sports Illustrated’s Duke Demming proposed a scenario that would bring a big-time hitter to Boston, though the slugger has been inconsistent for parts of his career.

Red Sox get: Isaac Paredes

Houston Astros get: Brayan Bello

“Isaac Paredes would be an everyday hitter for the Red Sox at third base and designated hitter. The slugger even flashed the ability to move to first base last year in Houston after they acquired Carlos Correa. Paredes missed some time with a hamstring injury, but he was highly productive when on the field. In 102 games, he hit .254 with 20 home runs, 53 runs, 53 RBIs, and a .809 OPS. Paredes would be surrounded by a strong top of the order in Boston, including Roman Anthony, Trevor Story, Jarren Duran, Willson Contreras, and Wilyer Abreu. Fenway Park could also provide a boost, as the Green Monster in left field would play to the advantage of the pull-heavy hitter,” he wrote.

Many rumors have suggested that the Astros be willing to move on from Paredes, though the team just traded for him an offseason ago. Paredes has the talent to be very good, but has also struggled for parts of his career.

Nonetheless, I like the fit as a right-handed bat at Fenway, and I think the move would be a wise one if the Red Sox don’t feel comfortable with their current setup.

More MLB news:

Hilary Knight more nervous for marriage proposal than gold-medal hockey game

MILAN — The U.S. women's national hockey team captured gold over Canada in a dramatic overtime victory at the 2026 Winer Olympics, but that wasn't the most nerve-wracking part of Hilary Knight's week.

"I was more nervous for the proposal than I was for the gold medal game" Knight said Thursday, Feb. 18, following the gold-medal win.

The five-time Olympian proposed to U.S. speed skater Brittany Bowe one day before the U.S. faced Canada in the women's hockey final. Knight said her plan to propose was making her so anxious that she ultimately decided to pull the trigger because her “legs felt like Jello” throughout the tournament.

So Knight did what any elite athlete would do. She penciled in her proposal on Wednesday before Team USA's final practice ahead of the gold-medal game.

"Call me crazy, but doing it before a gold medal game, it just seemed fitting for us,” said Knight, whose goal forced overtime on Thursday. "I kind of wanted to (propose) and then set my mind and intention for hockey prep. And so just with scheduling and Britt's schedule, it just made sense to do it that morning."

Knight didn’t tell anyone of her plans, not even her teammates. She got down on one knee following a morning coffee run, similar to how the two first connected at the 2022 Beijing Games amid COVID-19 protocols. Knight announced the news on Instagram without a second thought, captioning a video of the proposal, "Olympics brought us together. This one made us forever." She then went back to hockey mode and prepared for practice.

Business as usual, right? Wrong.

"I was a little naive to just throw the video up on social and put my phone away for practice," Knight joked. "I thought I could skate on by... I don't know what I was thinking."

Well, the engagement announcement quickly went viral and is up to nearly 100K likes, eliciting responses from fellow Olympians like Madison Chock, Elana Meyers Taylor and Ilona Maher. The video also made its way to Knight's teammates, who found out with the rest of the world. “She didn’t tell us,” added Megan Keller, who scored the game-winner in overtime to win the gold.

They immediately jumped into celebration mode and greeted Knight at practice to the tune of Bruno Mars’ “Marry You.” Her team's love and support is exactly why Knight opted to propose before the big game on Thursday.

Offensive free agents I’d be excited about the Rams signing

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - JANUARY 04: Romeo Doubs #87 of the Green Bay Packers looks on prior to a game against the Minnesota Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium on January 04, 2026 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Photo by David Berding/Getty Images) | Getty Images

How will the Los Angeles Rams retool in order to compete for a Super Bowl in 2026?

Let’s start a free agent shopping list on the offensive side of the ball. For now, we can ignore players who would require a trade of could be released from their teams and only focus on free agents.

These are the individuals I would be excited about the Rams signing on the open market followed by their contract projections from The Athletic:

Quarterback

Mitch Trubisky, Bills

One year, $8M

Jimmy Garoppolo is a free agent and could leave the Rams. Hopefully LA never has to turn to their backup; however, you could do much worse than Trubisky. This would give the Rams an upgrade from a mobility standpoint and the price tag is overall similar.

Is this a signing that gets the Rams over the hump? Probably not. It’s still smart money with a starting quarterback in his late 30’s.

Running back

None

LA has added talent to this position with Blake Corum and Jarquez Hunter in back-to-back draft classes. It’s a talented stable of backs and adding to the room could easily make it overly crowded.

Receiver

Romeo Doubs, Packers

Four years, $61M

Puka Nacua is one of the NFL’s best receivers. Davante Adams is still lethal in the red zone.

The Rams need a dependable pass catcher that can contribute between the 20-yard lines and move the chains on third down. Doubs excels in both areas and comes from a similar offensive system. It’s an easy match.

$15M annually sounds like a lot but that is only $5M more than the Rams paid Tutu Atwell. It’s barely starting receiver money in free agency and maybe even a bargain for a player of Doubs’ caliber.

Tight end

Charlie Kolar, Ravens

Three years, $21M

Is this a steep price tag when the Rams already have Colby Parkinson and Terrance Ferguson on the roster? Probably.

But Kolar has played behind Mark Andrews and Isaiah Likely in Baltimore and hasn’t been asked to do much other than block—and this is an area he has excelled. That’s exactly what the doctor ordered for Los Angeles, and Kolar could have receiving abilities that the Ravens never tapped into.

If the Rams are going to run 13 personnel often again in 2026, they are still saving money by “over investing” in tight ends compared to what receivers make. The more you think about it, the more sense it makes.

Tackle

None

The Rams just re-signed David Quessenberry as a depth piece. Do they need a backup left tackle too? Probably, but the answer could be a developmental player that is already on the roster or could be addressed through the draft. It could be smart to pinch pennies here.

Interior offensive line

Alijah Vera-Tucker, Jets

One year, $3M

Vera-Tucker was on a trajectory to become one of the league’s better guards before he tore his triceps ahead of the 2025 season. The Rams might not have a place to put him in the starting line up immediately. If they can pitch a rehabilitation stint and developmental year, this is a premium player that could contribute in a pinch. Should he play well in replacement of Steve Avila or Kevin Dotson, the Rams could recover a compensatory pick upon his departure.

In brief

Brandon Miller has set a @hornets' franchise record … Brandon Miller has set a @hornets' franchise record …

Swiss announcer should be fired for comments about 'Zionist' Israeli Olympian, says Antisemitism watchdog Radio Television Suisse commentator Stefan Renna should be fired for referring to Israeli Olympian Adam Edelman as a 'self-defined Zionist,' according to one watchdog group.

Brighton's Landon Whitlock learned playoff hockey from state final run “It’s just a Brighton thing to be a dog," senior Landon Whitlock said after his gritty play helped the Bulldogs win their hockey playoff opener.

Florida High School Football: The Bolles School reveals 2026 slate High school football schedules for the 2026 season are coming out one-by-one out of every state around the country and one that is a breeding ground for college prospects is Florida, with a number of squads finalizing their fall slates. The Florida high school football program that has the second-most

🚨 Breaking news: Mexico squad named for friendly in Querétaro The national strategist announced the list of call-ups (all from Liga MX) to face the friendly match against Iceland that will be played in Querétaro. The match is scheduled for Thursday, February 25...

Boston Red Sox trade idea sends Brayan Bello to AL contender for 27-year-old two-time All-Star This former All-Star could improve Boston's outlook.

Pryor drops 22 in Texas A&M women's 82-74 win over No. 21 Tennessee Ny'Ceara Pryor scored 22 points and dished 10 assists, Fatmata Janneh added 17 and Lemyah Hylton put up 12 in Texas A&M's 82-74 win over No. 21 Tennessee on Thursday night. The Aggies (11-11, 4-9 Southeastern Conference) jumped ahead early with a 10-0 run to start the game, with half